birding-aus

Red-whiskered Bulbuls at Mackay

To: "SABirdNet List" <>
Subject: Red-whiskered Bulbuls at Mackay
From: "Glen Ingram" <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 1997 01:25:51 +1000
Dear All
As promised on Saturday, 7 June 1997 (as a result of Steve Davis's trip
report), there follows Ray Leggett's letter (undated), which was sent to me
at the Queensland Museum.

The question is: are the authorities going to allow them too become
established. if no action is taken, will they be a problem to fruit-growing
industries in the area?

Brisbane, Australia.

"Captain! Someone has snorted the dilithium crystals!"
-----------------------------
Dear Glen,
I have just returned from a four day fauna survey assignment in Mackay and
was surprised to record two Red-whiskered Bulbuls Pycnonotus jocosus
feeding and collecting nesting material in my cousin's backyard.
My cousin, while not a birdo, is observant and claims to have seen these
birds regularly for at least 8 months and, at times, up to four birds.
I was staying with my cousin and we both saw them every morning and evening
feeding on the ripe fruit of a palm in his backyard. On three occasions we
observed them carrying off small curled pieces of dry palm frond, I tried
to locate their nest site but failed to do so.
My cousins live in a typical suburban home in West Mackay.
As I have only seen these birds previously in Coff's harbour, I feel it is
interesting extension of their range within Australia.

Yours sincerely
Ray Leggett.