birding-aus

Request "Where to watch birds in Aus?"

To: <>
Subject: Request "Where to watch birds in Aus?"
From: "Michael Knoll" <>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 00:06:40 +0200
Hi all,
I need some information on birding in Australia, and I hope I'm right in
this birdnet.

I'm a German birder and have the chance to work in Australia for about 3-4
months in Dec.98-Mar.99. I have to apply for the job in the next weeks, and
I can choose the  location around Australia (best chances are of course
around Sydney and Melbourne, but Brisbane, Perth, Tasmania etc. are also
possible). So I wanted to try to get some information about which of these
sites is the best starting point for birding. Of course I have to work 5
days a week, so most of the time I will only have the weekends to tour
around. Therefore it would be great, if there would be some birding sites
not too far away. I must add that I'm especially interested in all pelagic
species (an argument for the south or east coast?) and waders.

At the end of my stay I hope I can have 2-3 weeks holiday to visit a few of
the best birding sites around Australia - is there a list or something like
that, that shows all sites which are worth to go there (and when to go
there)?

Thank you very, very much for your help!!

Kind regards,
Michael

My email-address: