birding-aus

Swiftlets

To: John Penhallurick <>
Subject: Swiftlets
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 1997 22:02:29 +1000 (EST)
Dear John P. & aussibirders

I have studied the changes of AOU and John P. comments. I must admit it is
confusing with the swiftlets, If I understand it right the following are
species under Aerodramina:

Linchi (C. linchi) & Glossy Swiftlets (C esculenta) remain in the Collocalia
group

According to John P. the following swiftlets from our region are moved to
Aerodramina:

Black-nest Swiftlet (A. maximima)
Guam Swiftlet (A. bartschi)
Himilayan Swiftlet (A. brevirostris)
Mossy-nest Swiftlet (A. salanganus)
Edible-nest Swiftlet (A. fuciphaga), but there are 2 caves on Borneo with
different DNA, what about subspecies vistita?
Germain's Swiftlet (A germmani) Peninsular Malaysia? split from Edible-nest?
Australian Swiftlet (A. terraereginae) Only in NE Aust?
White-rumped Swiftlet (A. spodiopygius) which occur in the Eastern Pacific
PNG etc Why so, given that cyclones probably mixes White-rumped swiftlets?.
If so each island in the Pacific should have a different species split from
White-rumped?
So far Guam Swiftlet is recognised.
Atiu Swiftlet (A sawtelli)
Seyshelles Swiftlet (A elaphrus)
Mascarine Swiftlet (A. francicus

However what about Vulcano Swiftlet (C. vulcanorum)? MacKinnon & Phillipps
1996. Birds of Bordeo have listed it as a seperate species under Collocalia,
As it is related to Himalayan it should be transferred to Aerodramus group?

A. fusciphaga inexpectata? & A.  brevirostris innominata? King et al.
(Birds of SE Asia)
They are races so far, but maybe not?

Please let me know if I got it wrong. Also I would like to know what is
going on (Clearify ?)

Regards from Niels Dreyer