birding-aus

SHANES PARK (WESTERN SYDNEY) 3RD AUGUST 1997

To: "" <>
Subject: SHANES PARK (WESTERN SYDNEY) 3RD AUGUST 1997
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 97 08:34:00 PDT
Hello All

Yesterday afternoon (2:00 to 4:00 pm on a brilliant sunny afternoon), I
did another trip back to Shanes Park Civil Aviation Authority
International Radio Transmitter Station (despite its name - a good
birding spot) on the prospect of seeing the Baza's again. (I brought my
video camera this time).

As I walked to the same general patch of Ironbarks where the Baza's were
present a week ago, I heard the Noisy Miners giving the same tone of
alarm calls but found they were only harrassing an Australian Raven. At
that instance, I though I might be lucky again but there were no Hawks
about yesterday.

However I did see, 3 Painted Button-quail (scurrying amongst the leaf
litter of the forest floor), Common Bronzewing, a male Rose Robin,
Speckled Warblers (2 birds singing beautifully mimicking other local
species), Brown-headed Honeyeater's and White-winged Choughs  in this
wonderful area of dry forest.(some of these birds are quite uncommon for
this part of Sydney).

Saw 2-3 Eastern Grey Kangaroo's also in this area which have been most
likely introduced but are free ranging in this area.

Cheers!

Edwin Vella