birding-aus

RE: CRESTED HAWKS AT SHANES PARK (WESTERN SYDNEY) JULY 1997

To: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Subject: RE: CRESTED HAWKS AT SHANES PARK (WESTERN SYDNEY) JULY 1997
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 19:44:28 +1000 (EST)
Vella:

Live and learn.  Thanks for the reply.

Your observations about miners not harassing P. Baza when perched fits in
nicely with my own notes when it comes to magpies, butcherbirds and
kookaburras, i.e., when in flight the miners pursue the larger birds but
when they land the miners keep their distance and eventually lose
interest.  I believe Doug Dow was the first to publish observation of this
behaviour in 1971 or there abouts.  However, several weeks ago I watched 3
P. Bazas get harassed by miners persistently (in flight and while
perched). I find this type of behaviour of interest because of what it
tells us about the evolution of aggression in Noisy Miners.

I wonder if the P. Baza will eat nestlings of other birds?

Cheers, Jim