birding-aus

Re: Questions from visitors

To: Brenda Williams <>
Subject: Re: Questions from visitors
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 20:44:45 -0500 (CDT)
At 05:31 AM 7/26/97 +1000, Brenda Williams wrote:
>... First question is:  They would like to know the best time of the year to
>visit.  Any suggestions, including the reason why, would be appreciated.
>They also ordered "Where to Find Birds in Australia" by John Bransbury, but
>was told it is out of print. It was published in 1987....

I'm an American with limited experience there, but until the Australians
dive in...
They could get Bransbury from the Los Angeles Audubon Society
(1-213-876-0202; ; http://www.netcom.com/~laas), but they
shouldn't bother.  If they're just going to be in NE QLD, Wieneke is best
(i.e. Where to Find Birds in NE QLD); otherwise, a newer, better, cheaper
all-around guide is Thomas & Thomas 1996. Complete Guide to Finding Birds in
Aus.  (None of them is as good as the best for other parts of the world, by
the way.)

I'm told "the wet" is a problem up there... maybe the very best would be
early November, just before the rains start???  A few fancy birds are away
for your winter.  They'll have a great time any month, though.

Steve Greenfield
Minneapolis, USA