birding-aus

Barrington Tops - Blue Mts - Glen Davis

Subject: Barrington Tops - Blue Mts - Glen Davis
From: Stephen Greenfield & Kit Hansen <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 20:48:54 -0500 (CDT)
I did a loop through the mountains following my business trip to Sydney.
Thanks to Trevor Quested, Cilla Rose, et.al. for information.  Barrington
Tops was dead and I dipped on most of what I was hoping for.  Rushing down
the Putty Road, I stopped to look at a bronzewing near Howe's Valley and saw
a great flock with Striped Pardalote, Rose Robin, Speckled Warbler, and
Black-eared Cuckoo.  Has anyone birded that area seriously?

The Glen Davis road was crawling with honeyeaters and parrots as reported.
Aside from what everyone has been reporting, saw two Striped HE, a
Black-chinned, and a Blue-faced.  Missed Turquoise and Swift Parrot (though
a lot of "swift parrots" rocketed by), and Plum-headed Finch (maybe because
I didn't read Lorne's stake-out until I returned).

Studied a perched falcon which sure looked like the illustrations of Black,
but presumably was Brown from its upright posture (per Pizzey).  Does that
sound right, even though it had none of the facial pattern illustrated for
Brown?

Again didn't encounter any of that rarest of species, the Australian
Birdwatcher.

P.S.  One tip for anyone planning a trip to GD: it was MUCH quieter at
midday than when I started at sun-up.