birding-aus

Re: Cairns foreshore mudflats

To: "M. S. O'Keeffe" <>
Subject: Re: Cairns foreshore mudflats
From: (Andy Anderson)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 02:45:04 -1000
Cairns Esplanade mudflats:

Scott O'Keefe has suggested these good ideas. Putting capital works such as
boardwalks and hides onto the mud, and having enterpretative centres
beside,  to emphasise the importance of this habitat, and demonstrate the
ecotourism potential (saleability) of the site.
The trouble is that it is our opponents (this is a war, not a game) command
both the high ground and the inter-tidal zone. If we have these things in
place, then the battle is won already. We are fighting to get to this
stage.
Demonstrating that the product is saleable can work the other way. Our
opponents could equally demonstrate that a sandy beach and/or swimming pool
could be even more economically beneficial.

However, we are quietly working at things like this, and have with the
local Birds Australia, North Queensland branch, approached the council with
the offer of funds to update the existing `interpretive centre'.
Thanks Scott. I will ask QOS to send the boardwalk plans and economic
research you mention. It is essential that we be constructive as well as
critical.

Scott also mentions setting up a web site for the Esplanade. I have to
negotiate this with my server, and he is already thinking of something like
it. But having a site especially for the big E is a great idea.

Alan Mcbride writes:
<< - can your support group post the addresses for the relevent State
Government people we can all write to please, snail mail wise, fax wise and
any other wise.>>
- and -
<<It is the birds we are supposed to be caring for here and not the Cairns
local economy!>>

We consider that these are some of the key players.

*Premier of Queensland
Rob Borbidge                    <>
State Parliament
Brisbane.

*Brian Littleproud,              <>
Queensland Minister of the Environment,
Ann St,
Brisbane
Q   4000

*Cairns Post

*Cairns Chamber of Commerce

*Cairns Mayor

*RAOU - ask them to pressure on the above as well.

*AWSG - ditto.

*The Queensland Ornithological Society may be on the attack from their end.

Our BOCA address is Box 2910, Cairns 4870.

Cheers
Andy Anderson
Cairns.