birding-aus

Re: Crows! Crows! Crows!

To: Glen Ingram <>
Subject: Re: Crows! Crows! Crows!
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 10:03:28 +1000
At 00:12 2/07/97 +1000, you wrote:
>M. S. O'Keeffe wrote:
>> it my imagination or has there been a rather obvious increase in the
>> number of Channel-billed Cuckoos in southeast Qld in the last 5-7
>> years?  I have  "noticed" this myself, and one or two other
>> naturalists
Glen Ingram replied:
>My feeling is, that in the city of Brisbane, crows and channelbills have
>been common for at least 16 years.

We do have a way to test these "feelings".  In 1979-80 I organised a
garden bird survey through the Queensland Ornithological Society
(published in Sunbird 25:1-14 1995), which
received records from 100 gardens in Qld, mainly in the SE.  In that the
Torresian Crow was ranked no. 7, recorded from 71% of gardens and in 37%
of all records.  The channel-billed cuckoo was no. 100, recorded from
only 1.9% of records (using only summer records, Sept to Feb).

I intend to repeat this survey in 1999-2000, 20 years on and using identical
methods and then it should
be then possible to answer this question, and others, with hard data.

You'll just have to wait a couple of years.

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)