birding-aus

BOPPAS June trips

Subject: BOPPAS June trips
From: IAN MAC RAE <>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 11:53:40 +1000
Hello Birders:
BOPPAS had two birding trips in June and herewith are the summaries and
highlights of the trips.
5th June Mudjimba: Lat 26.39,Long. 153.06,
Mudjimba Environmental Park and nearby beach ares on the Maroochy River.
Weather was fine and mild.
58 species recorded.Thought there should have been more but that's birding.
Highlight species were: Eastern Reef Egret, and Black-necked Stork (This guy
was just strolling along one of the river beaches and took off after a while
to do a spot of fishing on a sandbank in the middle of the river.Fantastic
view of him flying.)
16th June Bribie Island: Lat 27.03 Long. 153.08
Buckley's Hole, the road to the Wastewater Treatment Plant and Woorim Beach
Weather was cold and windy with light showers, in fact miserable.
Nevetheless 69 species recorded.Thought there might have been more birders
than birds but not so.
Highlight species for these locations were: Australasian Gannet,
Comb-crested Jacana, Swamp Harrier, and Eastern Spinebill.
Our Melaleuca quinquenervia on the island have just about finished flowering
and the lorikeets have had a marvellous feast over the past month.Looks like
the Pied Oystercatchers are planning a family. We just hope they scratch out
their nest further away from the high tides and out of sight of humans,feral
cats and foxes.
We've yet to get hold of our copies of Pizzey and Knight. It's been
interesting to read the constructive criticisms on the book in this
medium.Can't agree with the comment on "stolen cover design".
Cheers to all birders,
Ian MacRae