birding-aus

Re: Thornbill behavior

To: Robert Davis <>
Subject: Re: Thornbill behavior
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 1997 07:10:56 +1000 (EST)
On Fri, 27 Jun 1997, Robert Davis wrote:

> Hi all! Just a quick question. On a recent field trip in WA, I noticed a
> yellow-rumped thornbill exhibiting very strange behaviour. When it flitted
> from branch to branch, it appeared to lose its balance and hang from the
> underside of each branch, rather than perching on top of the branch. It did
> this all the time I was watching it. Has anyone else observed this and does
> anyway know of an explanation for this? Perhaps its physiological eg.
> disease, parasites (Shane?)

Robert:  I assume you are not describing normal foraging behaviour in
that the bird flits from branchlet to branchlet while looking under leaves
and branches for insects. Is this correct?  It is common for thornbills
here in Brisbane to hang upside down for short durations.  Are you saying
that the bird "stops" to perch but then falls over and hangs freely?  If
so, it would appear that it has a problem.  How long did you watch it?
What plant was it perched on?   What is "Shane"?

Cheers, Jim Davis