birding-aus

Pizzey & Knight guide

Subject: Pizzey & Knight guide
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 12:27:40 +1000 (EST)

Now that I FINALLY have my nice signed copy, I can say that I really like
this book.   (Is it worth keeping the signed copy all shiny and new and
buy another one cheap for $27 at KMart so I can get it muddy and bent like
all my other FGs?)

Love the plates.  Love the text detail.  Love the layout.  But they should
have followed Christidis & Boles to the letter, as it IS the order
accepted by RAOU. I have only had time to look at certain plates in
detail, but I'm basically very happy.

To answer q's:

Yes, we need another FG.  We always need another FG, as soon as someone
changes the taxonomic stuff, or the ranges widen or (inevitably) shrink,
etc.  I can't see why anyone would miss this new one, anyhow.  I feel a
bit sorry for Ken and Nicholas, but I guess they've got their investment
back by now - they did have a good head start :-)

Yes - I'd like to see the rare stuff illustrated (some guides I've used
overseas even have the LIKELY species! But I suppose a Cook Islands FG
would be a bit thin with only the birds on the list...)

I suppose it IS a bit large - but at least that gives us great images and
decent font size as we're all getting older ...

Nothing wrong about the sport of error-spotting.  At least it gives them a
chance of getting it right if they do a reprint - but, HEY!!  Don't wait
that long for this great guide!!

I'm archiveing all the messages about the guide and I'll put them on the
web page somewhere when I get around to doing an update.  But first I have
to go and practise my skiing at Mt Hutt  (big grin...)

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Adminbeing