birding-aus

Guilt trip

Subject: Guilt trip
From: "John Graham" <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:45:36 +0200
I did a 4 week trip to Aus in October last year, and imposed on the
Ausbirdnet for gen , ......... and what a lot I got!  But, to my
shame, I never said thank you :-((

So here's a much belated thanks to all of you who so kindly e-mailed
me advise and details regarding the areas we were visiting in Aus.
There's no doubt they helped significantly in making the trip a
success.

For the record, we did rather well, seeing 418 species in a trip that
took in the Southwest (Mount Magnet to Albany and Esperance), the
North (Darwin, Kakadu and Victoria Roadhouse), and the East at
Brisbane and lastly Cairns and the Tableland.

The birding was outstanding and the people wonderfully friendly and
hospitable. It's difficult to pick out particular highlights, but
Whitethroated Grasswren (so similar to Damaraland Rockrunner),
Spotted Quailthrush, Lesser Sooty Owl, Cassowary, the Whipbirds,
Logrunner, Albert's Lyrebird, and the Frogmouths, Bowerbirds and
Riflebirds all provided unforgettable moments. The Honeyeaters, of
which we managed to find 48, were great value, and it was
particularly satisfying to see all of the stunning Fairy Wrens,
....... The Splendid Fairy Wren has got to be one of the most heart
stopping birds I have ever seen.

I hope to come back to your great country some day, and in the
meanwhile, will be very happy to give a hand to those of you who may
be planning birding in the vicinity of Cape Town.

Thanks
John.