birding-aus

Ecuador Trip Report

To: "Trevor Quested" <>
Subject: Ecuador Trip Report
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 1997 21:32:21 +1000 (EST)
Dear Trevor

Thank you very much for the trip report. It was a very impressive list. How
many birds did you see during your 5 weeks. Garry spent 10 weeks, I whis I
could take a such long holiday. However I would have been great to have the
birds listed with latin names. I do not know Brown-fronted Nunbird is that a
recent split from Black Fronted Nunbird. Scaly-throated Folage-gleaner ?
spilt from which bird, and how does it look like?. You said that the list
was avialable on a word7. I have Word6 so I may not be able to open a word7
document. Did you use tape recorder to call in the Antpittas? I spent 5
weeks in Ecuador in 1992 and saw 760 birds. I would have got 104 more if I
returned and spent the 10 weeks with you. I am particular impressed with the
Hummingbirds and Puffbirds. Of birds I remember seeing which you and Gerry
apparently missed were Crescent-faced Antpitta, Slate-crowned and
surprisingly Chestnut-naped Antpitta, Black-faced Hawk, Hoary Puffleg,
Gray-tailed Piha, fairy-throated Fruiteater, Blackish-headed Spinetail, a
few antbirds and tanagers. It just shows that it is impossible to clean up
Ecuardor in 10 weeks. Niels Krabbe is living there and has not jet seen all
the birds. Apparently, Gerry saw some endangered birds such as Rose-faced
Parrot, Gray-backed Hawk and some of the Bush-finches. I would like to know
in more detail how those birds were observed and how difficult it would be
to see them in the near future?. I am a great fan of South America and
although I have seen more than 1700 birds there I cannot wait to go back. I
am deeply frustrated to be dependent on 4-5 weeks holiday per year. How was
la Selva?, there are other lodges in the area.

Regards from Niels