birding-aus

Rottnest Island

Subject: Rottnest Island
From: Gil Langfield <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 20:25:37
I spent last Sunday on Rottnest Island, near Perth, Western Australia.  I
was armed with copies of Birding OZ postings about the place by Frank
O'Connor and Kim Lim and hoped to see Peafowl, Pheasant, Rock Parrot,
Bridled Tern and some waders, even though it was the wrong time for the
latter species.

I looked for the Rock Parrots between the tennis courts and the sewage
works and did not find them there.  I found 5 a little later feeding on the
Golf Course (sorry) edge of Garden Lake, and another 5 at Kingston
Barracks.  While I was watching the parrots at Garden Lake, they were
"buzzed" by a Sacred Kingfisher.

The introduced Common Pheasants were easy also on the Golf Course (sorry).

I searched all over Kingston Barracks for suitably feral Peafowl and did
not see or hear any.  The only one I saw on the island was outside the
supermarket, either just before or just after collecting his feral
groceries.  He had left the area several hours later when I checked again,
so was not resident in the supermarket.

Pied Oystercatchers were feeding on the lawns of Rottnest Lodge, near
Garden Lake.  15 Caspian Terns were resting on the shore of Government
House Lake, but I saw only about 3 Banded Stilts.  Other waders were
Red-necked Stint, Red-capped Dotterels and lots of Turnstones.  I also saw
White-browed Scrub-wren and was reminded of how different they are in the
west compared to those in Victoria. Crested was the only Tern.

All of the birds were very friendly, even the Australian Ravens which
allowed one to get very close and see the wonderful throat hackles.  The
birds seem to be as tame as the quokkas.

Regards,

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia