birding-aus

Re: Soaring birds

To: WM James Davis <>
Subject: Re: Soaring birds
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 16:40:55 +1100
WM James Davis wrote:

> Stephen:
>
>    I enjoyed reading your reply to John about soaring seabirds. I recall
> when I took ornithology that some birds are able to "lock" their wings
> into position while soaring.  However, I have been unable to find
> any mention of this behaviour in my library.  Off the top of your head do
> you recall which species, if any, "lock" their wings into place while
> soaring? TIA
>
> Cheers, Jim

Hi Jim,

As I mentioned earlier, I am not aware of any wing locking mechanism that is
specific to
soaring birds. However, someone else may be able to enlighten us on this issue.
It may
be related to how the humerus (upper arm) is articulated to the scapula and
coracoid
(shoulder bones), or the alignment of tendons and/or flight muscles about the
shoulder.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research and Conservation Manager.

Birds Australia (formerly Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union).
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.