birding-aus

Sydney Bushland

Subject: Sydney Bushland
From: BRIAN EVERINGHAM <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 18:18:32 +1100
I thought all birders in the Sydney region would be pleased to know that
there is much hard work going on behind the scenes to protect remnant
bushland in the Greater Sydney region. The National Parks Association,
which is a non-profit community organisation seeking to conserve and
protect the complete range and diversity of natural habitats here in
NSW, has had a long involvement. Its latest public effort was in
compiling a rather substantial book for use by conservationists and
government agencies (especially the NPWS) called "Proposed National Park
Additions in the Sydney Region". This was put together for us by one of
our Executive members, Helen Latham, and it is a detailed compendium of
all our current proposals for the region. All proposals have a
description of location, indication of area, details of land tenure,
details of geology, vegetation, fauna description, reasons for
reservation and threats to its conservation. They also come with a
proposal history. Sadly many have a long history, showing just how long
are some NPA campaigns. Happily the book was also out of date even
before it was published as we did get some of these proposals agreed to
by this government as part of our package of National Parks, the famous
"24". Such was Scheyville!There is always more we can do, of course, and
we would be more than hapy to have as much help as possible. NPA can be
contacted on  or by phoning 02 92334660.
Brian Everingham
Hon Secretary
PO Box 269
Engadine