birding-aus

Re: Corvids playing golf??

To: Jemery Day <>
Subject: Re: Corvids playing golf??
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 06:01:12 +1000 (EST)
Jemery writes:

> I recently saw a couple of Australian Ravens chasing a golf ball which
> was bouncing across a road - this seemed quite peculiar to me, until I
> saw one of the ravens pick up the ball in its beak and fly off a
> little further with it, until the ball dropped out of the bird's beak
> and bounced around a bit further, with the pattern repeated...

The pattern is repeated? Do you recall how often or how long?  Have you
seen this more than once?  It sounds as if the birds are literally playing
with the balls (I assume they are white). Perhaps, they were attracted to
golf balls because they resemble eggs, i.e., food, but once they realize
that the egg can't be eaten they start to play with them.  Alternatively,
they could be dropping the "golf, ball eggs" to crack them open.  Since
ravens are particular quick learners they shouldn't persist dropping the
balls unless they are playing.

> Have Torresian Crows evolved to
> have a better beak for carrying golf balls, compared to the beaks of
> Australian Ravens??

In North America, the raven are decidedly more "insightful" than crows and
larger.  I wouldn't say that crow are unable to carry the ball, but are
less inclined to do so. Just my opinion, for what is worth.

Cheers, Jim Davis