birding-aus

Re: Serious stuff about golf

To: Russell Woodford <>
Subject: Re: Serious stuff about golf
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 21:46:44 +1100
> I liked Scott O'Keefe's comments (and follow-up from various others) about
> trying to get golf course designers & developers to think a bit laterally
> and provide some decent habitat and proper wildlife corridors rather than
> grassy green deserts.  There are a few courses that do this - maybe
> unconsciously - so let's do some lobbying and get them to think about it.
> I think that this is one of the really worthwhile things that BIRDS
> AUSTRALIA can do.
>
> Russell Woodford

Dear Russell,

I refer you to my message that I sent to Birding-Aus earlier today. Birds
Australia IS
actively involved in advising golf clubs about making their courses more
suitable for
birds and other wildlife. YOU and everyone else can help in this process by
taking part
in the Birds On Golf Courses Project (see p20 of the March 1997 issue of
Wingspan).

Some golf courses in Europe and North America have already been shown to be
important
birds. A total of 25% of Europe's bird species were found on 8 selected
European golf
courses in a recent survey. The Audubon Society in has shown that remnant
vegetation on
some North American golf courses are important flyways for migratory birds.
Let's see
how Australian golf courses stand up to such scrutiny!

I also repeat my earlier point that the Australian golfing industry is drawing
up a code
of best practice for environmental management of their courses. This has been
due
largely to public pressure imposed upon them, but also as a means of running
their
courses cost-effectively. It covers issues such as recycling water for
irrigation and
water runoff, use of fertilisers and pesticides, habitat clearance and
modification, and
landscaping.

There are obviously some courses in Australia which are "green deserts", but
there are
many clubs which are serious and sensible environmental managers. I think we
should help
all golf clubs improve their environmental management by offering sound
environmental
advice, rather than unduly criticising them. This way, the golfers can enjoy
their golf
and we can enjoy the birds.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research and Conservation Manager.

Birds Australia (formerly Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union).
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.