birding-aus

Re: Birds on Golf Courses

To: Jo Wieneke <>
Subject: Re: Birds on Golf Courses
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 06:33:11 +1100
Jo Wieneke wrote:

> I'm surprised Stephen Ambrose or someone else from Birds Australia hasn't run
> with this one. On page 20 of  the March Wingspan Stephen announced a new Birds
> Australia project, Birds of Golf Courses.
> The Australian Golf Union and the Australian Turfgrass Research Institute are
> sponsoring a 6 year project aimed at documenting  the value of Australian
> golfcourses to bird populations. If you want to participate, contact the
> Coordinator, Birds on Golf Courses,   415 Riversdale Rd Hawthorn East Vic
> 3123.
>
> Jo Wieneke
> Townsville ( where crows on the Common can be seen flying off with golf balls
> from the neighbouring course)

Thanks for bringing this to everyone's attention, Jo. I would have responded to
the
discussion earlier, but this is the first time in 2 weeks I've had an
opportunity to
read Birding-Aus mail because of work commitments and illness.

We simply don't know what the bird situation is like on most Australian golf
courses.
The concept behind the Birds On Golf Courses Project is to identify which
Australian
golf courses are attractive to birds and why this is so. Golf courses with poor
environmental management will also be identified and their clubs will be
offered advice
on how to improve their golfing environment to attract birds and other wildlife.

In setting up this project, I have been talking with many people from all
aspects of the
Australian golfing community for nearly 2 years. I have to admit that in not
knowing
very much about the game of golf I entered these discussions with a great deal
of
sceptism. But I am now firmly convinced that the majority of Australian golf
clubs are
trying their best to implement sensible environmental management of their
courses. The
Australian Turfgrass Research Institute is in the final stage of developing
codes of
best practice for environmental management of golf courses and other pieces of
turf, and
this has been a well-researched and lengthy process.

I suggest you read my article in Wingspan ... I think you will be surprised at
how
valuable some golf courses are to birds.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research and Conservation Manager.

Birds Australia (formerly Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union).
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.