birding-aus

RE: Golf Courses

To: "SABirdNet List" <>
Subject: RE: Golf Courses
From: Marje Hemp <>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 1997 20:48:43 +-200
Dear Rohan

Welcome to the Net. Your subjects are always interesting. You may be interested
in knowing that in SA we too have "loiterers" on our Golf Courses (not always
desirable ones either!)

You wrote:
This is just by the way. I hear there are those who campaign against
golf courses saying they use too much water, use herbicides etc. and
are undesirable from the point of view of environmental conservation.

With this background, I was interested to see the above golf course
being recommended as a good location for birdwatching. Are other golf
courses similarly well endowed ? I would be most interested to know.

I can recommend birding on the Sun City Golf Courses (2 hour drive West of
Johannesburg and adjacent to the Pilanesburg National Park). We were there
during the drought and obviously conditions alongside the Golf Course suited
the birds and smaller mammals, especially in the indigenous vegetation and
acacia trees. Perhaps more course designers should keep part of the course
natural as it were. I remember seeing a young baboon well concealed in a bush
shoot out his hand onto the green to catch a ball.The golf course is a good
place to escape the crowds -- especially in the early morning or evening.

Our local golf course in Cape Town has a river running through it (actually a
sewage outlet) and is usually alive with waterbirds and waders. Pity that the
municipality have to keep dredging it though and disturbing the reeds around
the edge.

Marje Hemp

<<application/ms-tnef>>