birding-aus

OBP survey

Subject: OBP survey
From: (Scott Chandry)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1997 09:12:37 +0000
Greetings birding-ausers,

This past Sunday Mark Bennett and myself joined numerous others in the orange
bellied parrot survey.  Unfortunately our survey area in Murtcaim wildlife
area (adjacent to the Western treatment plant-Werribee) did not produce any
OBPs.  The biggest highlight was seeing a spotted crake and while observing
through scopes a Lewin's rail entered the same field of view.  From the same
location a large mixed flock of royal and yellow-billed spoonbills was
observed in the lagoon.

Following the survey we finished the day at the sewage farm where we saw the
long toed stint for the second weekend in a row at the Paradise Rd. mud
flats.  Stuart Dashpar, Lawrie Conole and Susan Myers told us about some OBPs
at the mouth of the Little River and as we arrived, six OBPs obliged and made
an appearance.  We watched them for some time as they fed, occasionally
walking on the road before they finally flew off.  The tide was somewhat
unfavourable when we stopped at the reed beds along the Little River in
search a spotless crake or Lewin's rail.  It was less productive than last
week but two buff-banded rails were seen.  Our general impression of the
sewage farm on Sunday was that it was raptor rich.  It seemed we couldn't
drive 5 metres without finding another whistling kite or swamp harrier.  Also
seen were lots of brown falcons, kestrels, black-shouldered kites, and one
brown goshawk.  Finally, as we passed the Paradise Rd. mud flats on the way
out two glossy ibis were present.

Scott

P. Scott Chandry

or