birding-aus

OBP's and French Island birds

Subject: OBP's and French Island birds
From: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 09:47:25 -0816 (utc)
        First 1997 OBP Count at French Island

Like Roger Hicks, I also participated with several
others in the first official Orange-bellied Parrot count for the
year.

Of the three groups operating on French Island over last weekend
(18/5/97) only one saw any OBP's (2 @ the the mouth of Tankerton
Ck. right at the end of the day).

Highlights for the day were as follows:

200 Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo's and 300 Blue-winged Parrots near
the Duck Splash on the islands nw corner.  Juvenile White-bellied
Sea-eagle, Marsh Harrier, Brown Falcon and Whistling Kite near
Tortoise Head in the islands sw tip.  Numerous Cisticola's along
the grassy edges of salt marsh on the western shoreline.

Ferals seen were plenty of house mice under scrap roofing iron,
cats (one sunning itself just above high tide mark near Chilcott
Rocks) and feral goats near the Duck Splash on the islands
northern coastline.

The island was the driest I have ever experienced making the salt
marsh easy to traverse.  Unfortunately no orchids were seen but a
highlight was 3 Koala's in the one tree (a Messmate) next to Shag
Swamp.

An interesting day all round.  The next count is July 26/27.  Put
it in the diary now and contact Birds Australia for further
information and sites. I recommend French island for a great day
out!
Martin O'Brien
Scientific Officer - Flora and Fauna Guarantee Unit
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
East Melbourne, Victoria.
AUSTRALIA  3002

tel: +61 3 9412 4273