birding-aus

Re: Boobook look

To: lorne <>
Subject: Re: Boobook look
From: Michael John Ramsey <>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 18:19:33 +1000 (EST)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, lorne wrote:

> Where I am in Beecroft we have the rare Black Boobook. I recently saw
> a White Boobook at Castle Hill and Blue Boobooks have been seen
> recently in the mountains of the same name.
>
> PS What on earth is a Plumed Frogmouth?????? Someone mentioned it.
>
> LORNE

Plumed Frogmouth (Podargus ocellatus plumiferus) is the southern race of
the Marbled Frogmouth, Podargus ocellatus. This subspecies occurs in
north-eastern New South Wales and south-eastern Queensland. Marbled
Frogmouth occurs on Cape York Peninsula and New Guinea (I think).
According to Simpson and Day the Plumed Frogmouth differs from the Marbled
in having a shorter tail and being larger. Australo-papuan Frogmouths
including the Tawny and Papuan occur in the family Podargidae, Asian
Frogmouths are in the family Batrachostomidae which contains around 10
species. By the way have you seen any Orange Boobooks lately!!!

Michael Ramsey
Bundoora, Vic