birding-aus

Madagascar Trips

To: <>
Subject: Madagascar Trips
Date: Fri, 2 May 97 13:27:37 +60000
A little while ago I asked for help in regard to trips to Madagascar.
Thankyou to all those who responded - I'm still looking into it.  I thought it
might be interesting for people to see a summary of the responses so far:

Birdquest        - Full for 1997 -

Wings - 16 September to 7 October, 22 days, US$4250 Mad. content only (ie
about AUD$5903 or $268 per day).  Wings recommended by others.

Unusual Destinations - 25 September to 9 October, 14 Days, SA Rand 10712
Joh'burg to Joh'burg (about AUD$3570 or $255 per day (note Joh'burg/Anta
return airfare is about AUD$180 return).  Recommended by someone.

Naturetrek - 30 October to 22 November and English pounds 3290 (not clear at
this stage what's included)
Victor Emanuel/Ventbird - 2 to 20 October, 18 days, US$6995, Joh'burg to
Joh'burg (a whopping $539 a day!!!).  Specific recommendation received.

Emu Tours - (1998:  15 November to 1 December) not yet finalised but about
AUD$7000 including Sydney to Sydney airfare.  The airfare runs somewhere
around $1600 to $2000, so say Mad. content $5000 or about $333 per day.

Ian Sinclair Vanga Tours - not yet contacted but I will be doing so.

>From my research, it appears that Madagascar is worth a three week trip - it
is suggested that two weeks is too short.  Most of the trips go to the same
places, with the two week trips obviously either cutting out places entirely
or reducing time in some places.  One of the trips has four plane trips in six
days in an effort to get around.

Cheers
Irene Denton
Sydney   NSW