birding-aus

Re: Trinidad and Tobago

To: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Subject: Re: Trinidad and Tobago
From: Linda Payzant <>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 08:51:13 -0300
Dr Richard Nowotny wrote:

> I am planning a 2 week private visit to Trinidad and Tobago in early June.
> Does anyone have any advice, first-hand experience, etc.  All contacts
> welcomed.
> Thanks
> Richard Nowotny (Melbourne)

I spent a week at the Asa Write Nature Centre in Trinidad. I would
recommend it highly. The accommodation is excellent duplex cabins
with all mod-coms. Food is buffet-style and very good. A balcony
on the main building has excellent views of bird-feeders where you
can see several species of tanagers and there are hummingbird feeders
hanging from the balcony which give you an eye-level view of hummers
feeding within a few feet. In fact, my husband even reached out and
stroked a feeding hummingbird. There is an Oropendula colony visible
from the balcony.
You can walk the trails of the grounds on your own or take
guided walks. A guide is required for the walk to the Oilbird
colony. The staff will arrange day-trips for you to different
birding spots around the island with excellent, knowledgeable
birding guides. Depending on how much you want to pay, you can go
on your own with a guide or you can arrange to go as a group with
other guests. One of the trips that you can take is by boat to see
the spectacle of the Scarlet Ibises returning to their roost.
The Asa Write is a long way from the airport but they can arrange
transportation from the airport at any time of the day or night.
I believe the cost for the airport pick up was about $40. US.
If you are planning to stay at Asa Write you should make
reservations as soon as possible because they are often booked
up well in advance.
-Linda
--

** Linda Payzant <>
** Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, N.S. Canada, B2Y 4A2