birding-aus

Re: Contact guide to help with Kagu

Subject: Re: Contact guide to help with Kagu
From: (Mark Holdsworth)
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 11:28:05 +1000
Niels Dreyer writes
>I am planning to visit New Calidonia this year. Does anyone know a contact
>person who know about  Kagu sites or is working on Kagu conservation (it
>would be handy if someone could guide us to a site for a fee of course)

I was in New Caledonia last year and I can assure you that you wont have
any trouble seeing the kagu, the most peculiar bird I've ever seen. The
kagu can be observed by the public at Rivière Bleu Park which is about
1-1.5 hours from Noumea (the tourist guides all have directions to the
area). Within this reserve is a remnant forest which contains plenty of
kagu as well as most of the other New Caledonian endemics. The kagu can be
seen along the roadside and picnic areas and seem to be oblivious to
presence of people - not much wonder they are threatened!

The species has been intensively studied and managed by Yves Létocart,
Province Sud. Yves is one of the best birdos in NC and you might be able to
contact him through the Park managers at the Rivière Bleu entrance.

Keep an eye out for the presumed extinct NC lorikeet (there's still a slim
chance particularly in the forested areas in the mountain ranges of the
north)

Good luck

Mark Holdsworth
Wildlife Management Officer
President, Australasian Raptor Association
Tasmanian Representative, Birds Australia Parrot Association

Parks and Wildlife Service
GPO Box 44A Hobart Tasmania 7001 Australia

Phone 03 6233 6033 (wk) 03 6239 0213 (ah) Fax 03 6233 3477