birding-aus

slides of seabirds

Subject: slides of seabirds
From: (Wim Vader)
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 15:02:00 +0200
        Chatters
                I have been so imprudent as to promise to give a
guest-lecture on the differences between the Arctic and Antarctic seabird
faunas in Lodz, Poland, in late may (This is a side-show to my official
amphipod lecture) . I want to talk about the differences in the relation
sea-land, and the consequent differences in wind-fields between the two
hemispheres, on the problems for nocturnal birds at high arctic latitudes,
and on the presence in the Arctic and absence in the Antarctic of large
terrestrial predators. I want to illustrate the lecture with my own slides,
but do not have all that many or all that good ones, and I wonder if the
chatters` community maybe could be tapped to borrow a few slides of special
subjects, or alternately to buy copies of slides.
                What I do not have is good slides of Ivory gulls and Little
Auks (=Dovekies) from the Arctic; nor have I any slides of alcids
underwater. For the Antarctic my experience is very brief, so I lack much
more: good slides of storm-petrels at sea, of prions, and of diving-petrels,
and slides of seabirds converging at whaling operations, or albatrosses
behind long-line vessels. Also what I have of penguins porpoising is not
really very good. So please, if you can help me in this matter, I shall be
extremely grateful; the slides will be returned promptly upon my return from
Poland in mid-June.It goes without saying that I`ll mention the names of the
persons who took the slides.
                It is snowing again in Tromsoe, so now we are hoping for an
all-time record in snow-depth; that will at least some compensation. many
thanks in advance for your help!!!

                                        Wim Vader, Tromsoe Museum
                                        9037 Tromsoe, Norway
                                        (sufficient address)