birding-aus

Re: GPS units for BOP Watching

Subject: Re: GPS units for BOP Watching
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 10:07:29 +1000
David McDonald wrote:

> Attention Will Steele and Co., Birds Australia
>
> Lawrie Conole's fine description of the GPS unit he is using suggests
> to me that all registered BOP Watchers should be issued with a GPS
> unit by Birds Australia.   Then we would always be accurate as to
> just which BOP Watch zone we are in.
>
> What do you recon, Will?
>
> David
> ______________________________________
> David McDonald
> PO Box 1355, Woden ACT 2606, Australia
> Tel: +61-6-231 8904;  Fax:  +61-6-249 0740
> E-mail:
> ______________________________________

David,

You may be interested to know that Birds Australia is working hard to find
funds to
initiate a second Australian Bird Atlas Project. This is taking a fair bit of
time to do
because the cost of running such a project over 7 years (including the writing
and
analysis) is about $1.3 million.

Included in the budget is the cost of buying GPS units so that observers can
record
accurate co-ordinates, particularly in remote areas. I don't really think it is
as
essential to use GPS units for projects such as BOP Watch because observers
only need to
record raptors in well-defined biogeographic zones. However, I will pass on
your idea to
Will when I see him on Monday.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research and Conservation Manager

Birds Australia (formerly Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Email:  S.Ambrose <>  (at work)
        <>  (at home)