birding-aus

PMICA Modems

Subject: PMICA Modems
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:12:11 -0500 (EST)
We really enjoyed our visit to Australia. It was really a journey of
discovery for us. Thanks to all who guided us to so many areas of wonder. I
was disappointed when I could not get on the net through the old PBX phone
system in most hotels. I missed many kind notes from you AusBirders. I have
since found out that the PBX phone system will fry a PMICA Modem card. I have
now switched to a US Robotics which protects against this type of frying.
Watch out as you travel with a laptop and try to use your modem in these
Hotels. Ask first. Most Hotels in Australia are switching over to a new
system so this will no longer be a problem. PS The ice is off the river and
it is rising fast. We are at the peak of northern migration. What a great
time to be alive.

Mike Houle        LaCrosse WI USA on an island in the Black
River