birding-aus

Re: PEREGRINES IN SYDNEY

To: John Clifton-Everest <>
Subject: Re: PEREGRINES IN SYDNEY
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 14:58:37 +1100 (EST)
On 22 Mar 1997, John Clifton-Everest wrote:

> elsewhere.  This morning (Sat. 22 March) there were two adult birds playing
> together and monstering the pigeons round White Bay and over the railway yards
> at the end of The Crescent there, within a kilometre or so of the CBD.  I
> observed them for 20 minutes through glasses and had some superb views.  Are
> these birds trying to nest in the city area somewhere.  Does anybody know
> about them?

During the contruction of the Glebe Island bridge there was talk in the
local Glebe paper that peregrines would use it.  My hazy memory is that
builders deliberately created a nest ledge which they hoped Peregrines
would use.  Certainly the Glebe Island Bridge looks like the bridges
around New York City inhabited by peregrines.  Of course there are a
number of other places they might breed (if they are a pair).  I believe
they breed/used to breed on the Qantas building in the city.

On the subject of inner-city Sydney birding, Boobook and Tawny frogmouth
are supposedly seen in Glebe, if anyone knows where exactly could they
e-mail me (forget the South Polar Skuas off Wollongong).

Andrew Taylor