birding-aus

Re: Code of ethics

Subject: Re: Code of ethics
From: "Martin O'Brien" <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:55:52 -0812 (utc)
Alan Stewart makes a number of good points for the bird observer and a code to
abide by.

Of particular importance, in Victoria at least, is the following point.

>8.  Make your records available to the local bird recorder.

I would encourage all birdo's to forward their observations to the relevant
State
bird atlas or database.  Time and again I come across avid, meticulous
birdwatchers who have kept wonderful records in 'little black books'.  But this
is
as far as it gets.  Observations can be valuable additions to our understanding
of
avian biology and conservation and we can all contribute to this goal.

Remember, even anecdotal information could be of importance.  The Victorian
databases to be aware of are:

The Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (all faunal observations) and the Wetlands
Database (waterbird observations).
Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Policy Officer
Flora and Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde.,
GPO Box 41
East Melbourne,  3002
Victoria, AUSTRALIA