birding-aus

Ethics of birdwatching (Part 2)

Subject: Ethics of birdwatching (Part 2)
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 16:46:01 +1000
ETHICS OF BIRD-WATCHING (PART II)

I think people should be aware that nearly all research institutions in
Australia are
required to have their animal research activities approved by an Animal Ethics
Experimentation Committee.

Each institution is responsible for setting up their own committee, and
membership
consists of scientists and informed members of the public. These committees
meet on a
regular basis to assess the methods proposed by scientists to conduct research
on
animals. The researcher has to convince the committee that the techniques
he/she will
use causes the minimum possible stress to experimental animals. Even a simple
bird-watching project has to be approved by the committee. In studies where
techniques
may cause stress, harm or even death to animals, the researcher must justify
these
actions to the committee, otherwise the project would not be approved. Each
Animal
Experimentation Ethics Committee assesses the projects using guidelines
produced by
Federal Parliament.

Of course, recreational bird-watching activities are generally not subject to
scrutiny
or approval by such committees. Alan McBride quite rightly pointed out to me
yesterday
that the ABA in the U.S already has a code of ethics for bird-watching. I will
chase
this code up in the next few days.

While a position paper produced by the RAOU on the ethics of bird-watching may
not stop
some individuals from using a spotlight that is potentially harmful to
nocturnal birds,
it may help assist refine professional guidelines for future research. Both
Federal and
State Governments continually seek the advice of the RAOU on matters relating
to bird
research and conservation. Position papers are an important part of this advice.

Therefore, I do urge all of you to send your views about the ethics of
bird-watching,
particularly in relation to play-back tapes and spotlights to attract and
observe birds,
to the RAOU Conservation Committee. This will allow the broadest spectrum of
views to be
taken into account in preparing a position paper. We are particularly
interested in your
views on the use of these techniques in ecotourism and their potential effects
on
threatened bird species, shy or easily disturbed birds, and rare vagrants.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
RAOU Research and Conservation Manager.

Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union.
Australian Bird Research Centre,
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.