birding-aus

Re: FW: even more on spotlighting

To: Trevor Quested <>
Subject: Re: FW: even more on spotlighting
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 09:00:07 +1000 (EET)
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Trevor Quested wrote:

> Why do we need 2 Victorian bird clubs to tell us how to watch birds? If you
> could have been with me when I saw 5 Lyre tailed Nightjars and 2 Rufous

[snip]

> Oh, did I mention we used tapes too. Oh dear, I taped them right in and then
> took photos as well.

Gee Trevor -- You should think about becoming a tabloid journalist.  Talk
about selective outrage!  What about responding to the other paragraphs I
wrote!!  I've heard on the grapevine that RAOU (national organisation I
believe; & Jeff Kennett was not involved in having the HQ down here, he'd
rather you had it in NSW) has already considered setting some standards in
this area.  Do you really think its OK to subject individual birds in
places where lots of birders go, to endless pishing, call playback &
spotlighting?  The Ecuador nocturnals sound fantastic, but I'd be a bit
selective about where & which ones I used the nuclear arsenal on.  Cheers
-- Lawrie.