birding-aus

replies on "new Pizzey"

Subject: replies on "new Pizzey"
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 08:10:21 +1100 (EST)
Dear all,

Just to save anyone else from replying, I am grateful to Margaret Cameron,
Stuart Fairbairn and David Rosalky for supplying the information I was after.

Just in case there is someone else who didn't know the answer (which I'm
starting to doubt!!), here is the information as Margaret, Stuart and David
have jointly provided it.

The illustrations (by Frank Knight, formerly of CSIRO Wildlife) are now
finished, and the text is almost done. The format will be similar to "the
other two" ie facing page illustrations, maps on text page. We should be
seeing the result in June.

While obviously welcoming such changes, I only hope that Graham hasn't
sacrificed the invaluable quality of detail and style of writing that makes
has work unique. In particular I've always found the written description of
distribution to be far more useful than a map.

S & D already fills the niche of simple 'straight' field guide perfectly
adequately. Only GP could describe a call as "appalling", and still be
super-useful!!

Ah well, that's the birden of success, I suppose...

Cheers,

Ian
---
Ian Fraser, Canberra