birding-aus

RFI-human/bird interactions

Subject: RFI-human/bird interactions
From: Ian Temby <>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:18:09 -0812 (EST)

I am aiding the BBC Natural History Unit by locating sites where a number of
human/wildlife interactions may be observed, for a forthcoming filming
assignment.  It is preferable that the sites are in the Melbourne metropolitan
area, at least in loose terms.  The film crew will be here next month for about
three weeks, then again in late October/early November.

I am looking for the following information:

1. Names/contact numbers or locations of people who feed wild cockatoos, or
those who have problems with houses being chewed by cockatoos.

2. Sites where there is a reasonable likelihood of finding Tawny Frogmouths
roosting i.e., known regular roost sites.

3. Residences where back yard swimming pools are used by breeding ducks
each year (in other words, where there is a high probability that ducks will be
present next spring).

4. Sites where there is a high probability that Masked Lapwings will nest and
attack people (could be on shopping centre roofs, for example, or ovals).

5. Sites where parrots (lorikeets/rosellas/cockatoos/Red Rumps) breed in urban
areas, preferably in back yards.

I know that this request is very restricted, geographically, but I hope that
someone out there may be able to assist.  Any suggestions greatfully accepted.

Cheers

Ian

Ian Temby
Flora & Fauna Branch
Department of Natural Resources & Environment
4/250 Victoria Parade
EAST MELBOURNE   VIC  3002
AUSTRALIA

Phone   613 9412 4429