birding-aus

ABSA

Subject: ABSA
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:36:04 +1000
A wee late, to say the least.  I had intended sending in this brief report
last week - on returning from a very successful Australian Bird Study
Association Scientific Meeting on the Gold Coast last Saturday, 8 February
1997.  Sorry folks.  Put it down to pressure of limited time to fulfill
unlimited tasks.  Or, to revert to the old English... trying to squeeze a
quart into a pint pot.

Anyway it was a pleasant experience meeting up with a few old faces and
being able to put faces to what had previously been no more than names
printed on the inside front cover of CORELLA.  It was my first ABSA
Scientific Meeting and hopefully wont be my last.  ABSA did say they plan to
shift these Scientific Day-cum-AGMs around.  Last year it was Melbourne;
this year, Brisbane.  Next year?

The day was based around the theme COLOUR MARKING FOR BIRD STUDY and apart
from my usual gripe about it would be lovely if THEY (the authorities)
allowed some of us to actually get on with it, it was a most informative,
entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable day.  The setting was great; the food
good; the company outstanding.

The day's program featured:

Ian Rowley
        Birds as individuals - the value of colour marking

Daniel Ebert
        Ecology of Buff-rumped and Yellow-rumped Thornbills

Daryl Jones
        Brush Turkeys

Barry Baker
        Nankeen Kestrels: population density and turnover

David Geering
        Patagial tagging: a review of an alternative colour marking technique.

Jane Hughes
        Behavioural Ecology of Australian Magpies

Graham Fry (for Peter Driscoll)
        Colour Flagging of migratory waders

Geoff Smith
        Black-breasted Button Quail

and the addition of the perenial favourite Jiro Kikkawa giving us an insight
nto his own particularly colour banding methods.

The Associations AGM followed after which many of us enjoyed a barbeque and
a beer or two courtesy of Currumbin Sanctuary.

Thanks fellas.  It was a memorable day.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz
President