birding-aus

Window strikes (fwd)

Subject: Window strikes (fwd)
From: "Louis S. Crivelli - 96" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 01:40:32 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:16:50 -0500 (EST)
From: Louis S. Crivelli - 96 <>
To: "Louis S. Crivelli - 96" <>
Cc: Peter Saenger - Biology <>
Subject: Window strikes

Dear Colleagues: All people with an interest in birds and conservation,

        I am writing to request your help, and hop your time and energy
permit a response.

        My students and I continue to study bird strikes at sheet glass
or plexiglass (clear plastic sheets), used as windows, walls, noise
barriers, etc., on a worldwide scope.  Several years ago, we requested
documented species accounts, minimally list of species known to strike
glass of all types from all sources, from all individuals and especially
those at collecting institutions.  In the hpoe of reaching more peole and
increasing our database substantially by using e-mail and the Internet,
we are again appealing to anyone willing to share any such records with
us.  We will, of course, gladly and properly acknowledge any assistance
offered.

        Our records for Canada and the United States are extensive, but
our primary interest is to obtain all available records of species known
to strike sheet glass or plexiglass from all other countries around the
globe.  Specifically, we ask for names of species that have hit glass or
plexiglass panes of any stationary structure.  If available, please
include species (common and scientific) name, date or approximate
(as accurate) date of strike as possible, actual or approximate
loctaion.  Any other detailed information about the species
(killed/injured, migrant, etc.), glass or plexiglass (see-through or
reflective; clear or tinted), building type (single or multistoried),
habitat (surrounding type; urban, suburban, rural), and any other
comments will be greatly appreciated.

        PLEASE DISTRIBUTE this request to as wide an audience as
psooible, all appropriate listservers, or specific individuals or groups
you know or suspect may be willing to share their records on this subject
with us.

        We will be grateful for any data that you are able to share, and
thank you in advance for making the effort on our behalf.

        Please send responses to the following e-mail address:
 or regular mail to: D. Klem, Jr., Biology, Muhlenberg
College, Allentown PA 18104-5586 USA

                                          Most sincerely,

                                          Daniel Klem, Jr.