birding-aus

Namadgi National Park

Subject: Namadgi National Park
From: (Allan Benson)
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 21:04:49 -0800
Namadgi National Park is a major proportion of the ACT. The park is
reached via Tharwa by going south through Canberra along the Monara
Highway toward Cooma and following the signs.The Brindabella Ranges
constitute the main feature in the park. These mountains are often
covered in snow in winter. The vegation can be divided into low open
woodland  and tall wet forests on the western side of the park.
Commercial pine planations dominate the drive up to Corin Dam.

Of interst in or near the park are the abandoned satelitte tracking
stations at Orroral Valley and Honeyscuckle Creek, the "bobsled run" at
Corin Forest, historic Lanyon Station, craft shops at Cuppacumbalong and
one of Australia's best rock climbing sites at Booroomba Rocks.

We camped for the long weekend at Orroral Valley camping area which
proved to be a very pleasant location with fireplaces with firewood
supplied, tables and flush toilets (all for no charge). While the
weather was not that that kind with constant drizzle it was still a very
enjoyable weekend.

>From a birding viewpoint the list totalled 59 with the highlights being
the pair of Hobbies perched near Corin Dam, lots of Yellow-tailed Black
Cockatoos, Gang-gang, Leaden Flycatcher and the large numbers of
Honeyeaters around the campsite(Fucous, White-naped,White-earred,
Eastern Spinebill, Red Wattlebird, Noisy Frairbird).

The bird we came to see was the Olive Whislter and once more we dipped.
The recommended location is Smoker's Flat on the Square Rock Trail,off
the Corin Dam Rd. This is a relatively steep 2-3 Km walk to reach this
spot which is an open area with large areas of tea tree. The conditions
were pretty ordinary with constant rain and poor light and visiblity. We
thought we heard the bird call twice but could not squeak it in.

This was a very enjoyable weekend and we'll come back and hopefully the
Olive Whislter can be added to the list.

Allan Benson,