birding-aus

Victoria wandering 4

Subject: Victoria wandering 4
From: "Peregrine" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 10:27:18 -0500 (EST)
the last one....
-K

Fri. 13 Dec.  Hattah-Kulkyne NP,  Avoca Floodway, Reedy Lake,
Terrick-Terrick SP.

        The only new bird I found this morning in the mallee was a
Southern Whiteface in a flock of thornbills.  On the way down to
Terrick-Terrick state park I made several stops that were mentioned in a
trip report from last year.  The Avoca Floodway near Kerang along the
Murray River was one of the best spots I birded all trip.  Maybe this is
just because I enjoy waterbirds so much, but there were so many here.
Whiskered Tern, Greenshank,  Marsh Sandpiper, Black-tailed Native Hen,
Pink-eared Duck, Royal Spoonbill, Yellow-billed Spoonbill, Straw-necked
Ibis, Sacred Ibis,  White-faced Heron, White-necked Heron, Chestnut Teal,
Gray Teal, Purple Swamphen, Little Pied Cormerant, Black Swans, an
immature White-bellied Sea Eagle, White-fronted Chats and Skylarks.  The
Royal Spoonbills were all decked out in breeding plumage, with dramatic
white plumes at the backs of their heads.  A few kilometers along the
road is the Reedy Lake Ibis rookery, where I was amazed to find thousands
and thousands of Herons and Ibis and Spoonbills nesting, flapping,
squawking, and flying around in large soaring flocks.
        Terrick-Terrick state park has an interesting forest habitat,
which I only spent a short time in.  Birds here included Hooded Robin,
Black-chinned Honeyeater, Brown Treecreeper, White-browed Woodswallow,
Tree Martins,  White-faced Babblers, and Silvereye.  This was relatively
quiet with birds, and I was ready to stop birding for a while, so I spent
the night in Bendigo where I could get a shower.  The trees around the
Caravan park were filled to overflowing with Musk Lorikeets and Red
Wattlebirds.  A good end to my trip.

        All of the parks I visited were almost deserted when I was
there.  Except for Little Desert, there was always at least one other
group of people there so I was not out entirely on my own.  The birding
was wonderful, but I could see how a trip to these areas would be more
rewarding in winter or spring when the wildflowers are out and longer
walks could be taken without the dry heat.  I saw numerous raptors along
the drives, but I was unable to get a decent count due to my inability to
identify them at 100 kph.  I only  missed a few sought after birds like
Budgerigar, GilbertUs Whistler, Regent Parrot (which I think I did see
flying over the road but couldnUt relocate them), Bluebonnet and
Redthroat.  However, I was very satisfied with all the wildlife I saw.
My thanks to everyone who gave me tips on where to go and to the authors
of past trip reports, as these were especially helpful in finding the
birds.  Good birding everyone!

Cheers,
Katie Bertsche

Trip List: