birding-aus

Magpie mimicry

Subject: Magpie mimicry
From: Sue Chamberlain <>
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 17:30:29 +1100
Dear Birders and Birdettes,

I was put onto this list via RAOU (thanks).

I have a male magpie (in Sydney) who is working on his
mimicry every afternoon.  He can now do a very good noisy
miner, and is working on currawong, kookaburra and other
sundry bird noises.

He also makes a lot of other noises, which cover human-like
whistling, and artificial noises like those of a radio tuning in
and others best described as mimicing R2D2 from Star Wars.

He also throws in a few bits of magpie.

He will make these noises for 20-30 minutes at a time.

How common is this behaviour?

Sue

Sue Chamberlain
Net @traction (World Wide Web authoring)