birding-aus

First birds for 1997, Indonesia

Subject: First birds for 1997, Indonesia
From: Louise Ann Shilton <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 14:36:21 +0700
Selamat Hari Natal & Tahun Baru (belated Christmas greetings & Happy New
Year) from Bogor in West Java, Indonesia.  I have to confess to getting up a
bit late this morning to register my first birds for 1997, but here they are
from Bantar Kamang in Bogor (West Java, Indonesia), looking out to 2,000 m+
Gunung Salak (local time 10:00 am):

1.      Linchi Swiftlet (Cave Swiftlet)
2.      Scaly-breasted Munia
3.      Oriental White-Eye
4.      Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker
5.      Sooty-headed Bulbul
6.      Olive-backed Tailorbird
7.      Javan Munia
8.      Plaintive Cuckoo
9.      Bar-winged Prinia
10.     Edible-nest Swiftlet

LAWRIE CONOLE
temporarily of Bogor, Indonesia

-----------------
PS: For Stuart & Susan, Russell, Mike & Malea, Keith, &tc., have a great new
year.

If it's of any interest, I got 100 lifers between arriving here and new
year.  I saw 2 Milky Storks in the cess pool of Batavia Bay (next to Muara
Angke nature reserve, Jakarta) just 45 minutes after getting off the plane.
Other good birds at Muara Angke: Cinnamon Bittern, Small Blue Kingfisher,
Long-tailed Shrike, Sunda Teal, Japanese Sparrowhawk, Common Moorhen, Black
Drongo, Zitting Cisticola, Golden-bellied Gerygone.  First bird in Java was
Javan Pond-Heron at Muara Angke!  I had a quick trip to the waterfall above
Cibodas last weekend and saw such gems as Sunda Whistling-Thrush, Siberian
Thrush, Blue Nuthatch, Pygmy Tit, Chestnut-backed Scimitar-Babbler,
Orange-fronted Barbet, Indigo Flycatcher, Little Pied Flycatcher, Mugimaki
Flycatcher, Ashy Drongo, Lesser Racket-tailed Drongo, Eye-browed
Wren-Babbler, White-browed Shortwing, Sunda Bulbul, Orange-spotted Bulbul,
Sunda Minivet, White-flanked Sunbird, Rufous-tailed Fantail, Grey Wagtail;
and in the furry stakes, a family of 3 Java Gibbons, lots of Javan Tupaias,
several UFO squirrels!  Highlights of Curug Gendang at Carita were:
Chestnut-breasted Malkoha, Sunda Sunbird, Greater Racket-tailed Drongo,
Grey-rumped Treeswift, Greater Green Leafbird, Grey-cheeked Bulbul,
Black-winged Flycatcher-Shrike; Ebony Leaf Monkey.  Best birds in the local
Kebun Raya (Bogor Botanical Gardens): Orange-headed Thrush, Hill
Blue-Flycatcher, Asian Brown Flycatcher, Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker,
Black-naped Fruit-Dove (very common; easiest Ptilinopus to see yet),
Black-naped Oriole, Blue-eared Kingfisher, Common Iora, Black-crowned
Night-Heron (went on a census with a local ornithologist yesterday at 05:00
am; estimated 800-1,000 night-herons), Oriental Hobby; about 1,000-1,200
Malayan Flying-foxes there too.

Enough ranting .... see you all (well maybe not all) in a couple of weeks,
or thereabouts.  A full report in due course ...

Louise A. Shilton                               Present address:
Postgraduate Student                            PO Box 2039
Department of Biology                           Bogor Timur 16020
University of Leeds                             Java
Leeds LS2 9JT                                   INDONESIA
UK
                                                Tel/Fax: + 62 251 379703
                                                e-mail: