birding-aus

Call for research directory submissions

Subject: Call for research directory submissions
From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 14:28:35 +1000
1996 BIRD RESEARCH DIRECTORY - CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

Thanks to all subscribers who voted on the issue relating to the proposed 1996
Research
Directory (see Birding-aus, Wednesday 11 December 1996), and especially to
those who
provided additional comments/suggestions.  I am sorry for not waiting until the
5 pm
deadline for all responses, but the result is fairly clear-cut and I have to
catch a
?plane bound for Sydney this evening. I hope I have not offended anyone by
closing the
vote early. The result of the vote is shown below:

SURVEY QUESTION:

I wish a 1996 Directory of funded research projects on Australian birds be
displayed on
birding-aus early in 1997.

YES:    36                      NO:  0

It appears then that there is sufficient interest in the compilation of a bird
research
directory which I am prepared to collate. At the request of a number of people
who
responded to the survey, I will also link the directory to the RAOU?s main web
site, the
Virtual Emu <http://www.vicnet.au/~raou/raou.html>. Therefore, I am now seeking
information about funded Australian bird research projects that were conducted
in 1996,
and it is up to you to provide me with it. The information for each project
should be
provided in the following format:

Title of project:
Chief Investigators (including supervisors):
Host institution or organisation:
Optional project description (no more than 50 words):
Time-scale (including starting and finishing dates):
Funding agency(ies):
Telephone No.:
E-mail address:

I have a fairly liberal interpretation of what is meant by a ?funded project?.
A project
that is supported by a research grant is obviously a funded project. A project
that is
without a grant but has institutional support (eg most student thesis projects)
should
also be regarded as a funded project because of the provision of resources (eg
professional supervision, office and lab facilities, field equipment) by the
institution.

An ?unfunded project? is one that is without both a research grant and
institutional
support. I have deliberately not asked for information on unfunded projects to
allow the
manageable compilation of the 1996 Directory. However, if the compilation of a
research
directory becomes an annual event, then it may be possible to include unfunded
projects
in future years.

It is now up to you to provide me with information for the 1996 Directory. You
probably
know of colleagues who do not subscribe to Birding-aus or who are not hooked up
to the
Inernet - I urge you to bring this notice to their attention, because we want
the 1996
Directory to be as comprehensive as possible.

Information for the 1996 Bird Research Directory should reach me by 5 pm, Friday
7 February 1997.  I will then endeavour to have the Directory displayed on
Birding-aus
by the end of that month.

Contributions should be e-mailed to me at <> or faxed to
me at the
RAOU Office on (03) 9882 2677.

All the very best wishes for Christmas and may you have an exciting and
prosperous New
Year.

Dr Stephen Ambrose
RAOU Research and Conservation Manager