birding-aus

A few 1996 Rarities

Subject: A few 1996 Rarities
From: (Tony Palliser)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 23:40:02 +1100
Pete,
Something to think about over Christmas!  Here is a list of rarities that
between the two of us need either NSW FOC or RAOU records appraisal
submissions completed.  Mmmm I think we will have to stay indoors for a
while? It makes you wonder what we will  turn up next year?   To think that
the highlight of the year for me was the honeymoon on Christmas Island and
the two overseas trips searching for Pittas in Thailand and Borneo.  Mind
you October was just  awesome.

Jan 1996
White-necked Petrel, 2 off Wollongong
Streaked Shearwater, 2 off Wollongong

Apr 1996
Kermadec Petrel, 2 off Wollongong
Herald Petrel, 1 off Wollongong
Streaked Shearwater, 1 off Wollongong
Audubon's Shearwater 2 off Geraldton

May 1996
Buller's Albatross,1 off Wollongong

June 1996
Black-bellied Storm Petrel, 1 off Sydney
Westland Petrel, 1 off Sydney (done)

July 1996
White-chinned Petrel, 1 off Wollongong
Westland Petrel, 1 off Wollongong

Sept 1996
White-chinned Petrel, 2 off Sydney
Royal Albatross, 1 off Wollongong
White-chinned Petrel, 1 off Wollongong

Oct 1996
Matsudaira's Storm Petrel, 55-60 off Broome
Leach's Storm Petrel, 4-5 off Broome
Swinhoe's Storm Petrel, 2 off Broome
Bulwer's Petrel, 60+ off Broome
Jouanin's Petrel, 2 off Broome
Mottled Petrel 55-60, off Wollongong
Soft-plumaged Petrel, 1 off Wollongong
Cook's Petrel, 2 off Wollongong
Murphy's Petrel?, 1 Possible off Wollongong
Manx Shearwater, 1 off Wollongong
Audubon's Shearwater, 1 off Wollongong
Mottled Petrel, 8 off Sydney
Westland Petrel, 1-2 off Sydney (done)
White-chinned Petrel, 1 off Sydney
Black Petrel 3, off Sydney

Nov 1996
Black Petrel 3, off Sydney
Little Shearwater 3, off Wollongong

Dec 1996
Black-winged Petrel 1, off Sydney

ps How many have I missed? all the best for xmas and the new year
Tony