birding-aus

Re: Aust. Bird organisations

Subject: Re: Aust. Bird organisations
From: "TPALLISE.AU.ORACLE.COM" <>
Date: 02 Dec 96 09:53:03 +1100
The fact that the RAOU has about 35 bird conservation and research
projects under way is in an amazing achievement given there are only
approximately 5000 members.    While congratulating the hard work being
done by birding Organisations in Australia it would appear that there
are two significant problems.

1. There are not enough members

In my opinion 5000 members for any birding organisation in Australia is
extremely low.  Having said that it is clear that this is not so easy to
resolve.  I have always been quite surprised even shocked at the number
of birders that I know that are not members of the RAOU. How many more
must there be?  The interest is there, it would appear to be a marketing
problem! I would lay odds that not many of you have met a non birder for
example that has heard of the RAOU?

So as a group why don't we try and conduct some sort of brainstorming
session to come up with ideas that may increase the membership of the
RAOU? (assuming that is what is wanted and are ready for)  To start the
ball rolling perhaps:

Wingspan could be sold in newsagents?
Advice should be sought from a professional marketing manager?
Is there one among us?
Discounts to members that find other members?
More activity via the Internet.
Exchange advertising space with other organisations e.g. Paddy Pallins,
Mapping Companies etc
Offer some sort of program for students?
Erect pay as you enter hides
etc.

2. There are far too many organisations

A personal frustration of mine is having to be a member of so many
organisations, It provides grounds for dropping ones membership?  how
many members do not resubscribe the following year?   I would for one
would gladly pay more to be a member of just one or two per year.
Perhaps some of these could merge?  I don't think there is an easy
answer to this one either.

Regards
Tony Palliser  (Sydney, Australia)
Phone   +61 2 9900 1678 or +61 2 9427756
 or
http://www.zip.com.au/~palliser