birding-aus

South-east Queensland

Subject: South-east Queensland
From: (Kim Lim)
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:25:57 +1100
Greetings all,

Just a brief report of a short trip to SE Queensland last week.  A big
thank you to all who replied to an earlier request for info on birding
sites for the region. A total of 112 species were sighted over about 5 days
of birding in various localities, mainly in rainforest habitats. Of these,
32 species, listed below, were new to my Australian list.

Sat 9/11/96  Tamborine Mountains (about 80 km south), visiting Joalah, Palm
Grove and the Knoll National Parks and back to Brisbane.

Lewin's Honeyeater
Pale-headed Rosella
Scaly-breasted Lorikeet
Green Catbird
Australian Brush Turkey
Brown Gerygone
Pale Yellow Robin
Cicadabird (1 male)
Satin Bowerbird
White-throated Treecreeper
Yellow-throated Scrubwren
Torresian Crow
Little Shrike-Thrush (1 rufous form)

Sun 10/11/96  Brisbane Forest Park (about 50 km NW of Brisbane) visiting
Maiala National Park.

White-headed Pigeon
Eastern Yellow Robin
Black-faced Monarch
Eastern Whipbird
Regent Bowerbird
Logrunner

>From Maiala NP to Redcliffe, a coastal suburb north of Brisbane, via the
Samford Road to meet up with Julian Bieliwizc. A very good area for waders.

Golden-headed Cisticola
White-breasted Woodswallow

Wed to Fri (13/11/96 to 15/11/96) Camping at Green Mountains, Lamington
Nat. Park (about 120 km south of Brisbane). This is the world-famous site
for Oreilly's where birders flock to see all sorts of forest species in
beautiful rainforest. During the day I had to fight off Australian King
Parrots, Crimson Rosellas, Lewin's Honeyeaters and bowerbirds while at
night it was the possums! But I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

Dollarbird
Topknot Pigeon (an impressive sight of a fly-past of 15)
Wonga Pigeon
Large-billed Scrubwren
Brown Thornbill
Paradise Riflebird (2 females seen on two occasions)
Rose-crowned Fruit Dove (male)
White-throated Needletail (many over 2 days hunting over Oreilly's)
Albert's Lyrebird (3 encounters, on one occasion a male seen displaying to
at least 2 others)
Rose Robin (male)
Brown Cuckoo Dove

Cheers!