birding-aus

Superb parrots

Subject: Superb parrots
From: (Shane Raidal)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:07:41 +0800
The weekend before last I saw a flock of about 25 male superb parrots on a
property on the Gum-tree lane between Yass and Murrumbateman.  I was there
with a colleague from the University of Sydney taking samples from nestling
sulphur crested cockatoos (we noticed a few female superb parrots at nesting
hollows as well).  This is the fourth year that I have seen superb parrots
in this area.  The area is about 10 km south-east From Yass. You drive a
short distance out of Yass towards Wee Jasper and the Gum-tree lane exits to
the east.  The old Yass race course is on this road.  At first  you drive
past tree-less paddocks and start to wonder if you will see any birds at all
but then you enter a stretch of about 15 km of  relatively densely-treed
farm land.  From the road you should be able to spot superb parrots, eastern
and crimson rosellas,  galahs and SCC. There are a few places which would be
suitable for a picnic.  This is one of the few places that I have seen
crimson and eastern rosellas in equal numbers.

Dr Shane Raidal BVSc PhD MACVSc (Avian Health)
Lecturer in Veterinary Pathology
School of Veterinary Studies
Murdoch University                 phone:  +61 9 360 2418
Perth,WA, 6150                            fax:  +61 9 310 4144
Australia