birding-aus

Cape Conron

Subject: Cape Conron
From: (hillier lab)
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 1996 10:20:18 +0000
Hi everyone,
        just a very short note about a couple of sightings by my family
(brother and mother are birdwatchers) while up at Cape Conron (I am not sure
if I have spelt it correctly but it is in the far east of Victoria just
before Croajingalong NP).
        While walking they heard a bird fly from behind them and because of
the noisy flight they turned expecting a quail but instead got a nice full
sun look at a Ground Parrot.  I may be understating it when I say they were
rather excited.  Also they got excellent views of Southern Emuwren (the first
good long binocular view for my mother) and found nests of White-browed
Scrubwrens and Pied Oystercatcher.  Again the first Oystercatcher nest they
have  found.  Also a few Hooded Plovers on the beach down there.
                                                Best Wishes
                                                John Boyce
     PS my brother has just bought one of the new Kowa 80mm scopes so I will
get to give it a try on the weekend and if anyone is interested will post my
views next week.