birding-aus

Re: Magpie attacks

Subject: Re: Magpie attacks
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 96 08:27:25 -0400
G'day All

Everyone has mised the most obvious solution - avoidance.

When I moved to Canberra I started riding to work and had to change my
route three times.  Twice to avoid dogs and once to avoid a mad magpie.
The dogs are the worst because they will have a go at any time of the
year.  I've been attacked by magpies in Limestone Avenue in busy traffic
(blood was spilt on this occasion - mine).  Another bird in Phillip
Avenue, Watson nearly had me off the bike and under a car.  He was on my
usual route to work and taking a different route for a month or so avoided
the problem.  The maggies didn't appear to nest in the street this year
but I kept away in case.

Years ago my family used to feed magpies in Diamond Creek, Melbourne.
Everyone in our street used to be attacked during the breeding season
except us.

Cheers

Steve Clark

Stephen Clark