birding-aus

Re: RFI-Phillipines

To: "Rod Gardner" <>
Subject: Re: RFI-Phillipines
From: (Kim Lim)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 08:55:51 +1100
On 31/10/96 Rod Gardner asked:

>Has anyone got any information on good birding in the Phillipines, or good
>national parks to visit? Two of us are going there for two weeks from early
>December. In that time I guess we should limit ourselves to two islands
>maximum. Also any information on boat trips/ferries between islands would be
>useful. Are they any good for seabirds?

Just some notes I retrieved from the Net on a birding trip report
(apologies to the authors as I don't have the names).
In Manila (?) the American Cemetery seems to be quite good and 22 species
were recorded there. Cheap accomodation at the Townhouse Motel, off Roxas
Boulevard.

On Mindanao Island, Mt Katanglad (21 species) is mentioned. I think access
is via Cagayan del Oro and Dalwangan where a person called Mrs Maghanoy is
a good contact for visiting birders. There is a Rest House to stay at Mt
Katanglad and the authors recommend a local guide Carlito.

On Bohol Island, the Logarita Forest Station is recommended. They took a
ferry from Cebu to Bohol, berthing at Jagna. From Jagna by bus to
Tagbilaran, change at Loay and bus again to Bilar. From Bilar they took a
motor-cycle rickshaw to Logarita F.S. The Valley trail produced 20 species.

They returned to Manila and visited Quezon Nat. Park and travelled by taxi
to Lucena, the nearest town to the Park, about 3 - 4 hours south.
Accomodation was at Fresh Air Hotel and the Park entrance is at Malicboy.
This area yielded 27 species. Waders can be seen at the nearby Pagbiliao
Fish Ponds.

Please check routes to these places as I did not jot down every thing. I'm
sure you'll have an exciting trip as the Philippines has a very rich
endemic avifauna.

Kim

1/117 Hubert Street
East Vic Park  WA 6101